This project is to remodel a bathroom and a closet in an 1981, 3 story brick townhouse. The 3 bedrooms are on the top floor including the master bedroom. From the master bedroom (14'x 11') there is an opening to a space with a vanity to the left and the master closet to the right and a door to the bathroom through the closet. The master closet (4' x 6') is narrow at the entrance and wider in the back with some built-in shelves. The bathroom has a window on the left, tile floor and a standard (58") bath tub. There is currently no exhaust vent in the bathroom. Above is a tall attic space with entrance in the closet ceiling. There is also a linen closet on the other side of the master closet in the hallway. To the right of the linen closet there is an empty section of the drywall that could be claimed. The laundry area is currently on the second floor in the corner of the kitchen and directly below the master bathroom. Its location currently requires us to carry the laundry downstairs and clean clothes back up to the closet.
The problems we are trying to solve with this project are:
1. Insufficient closet space
2. No bathroom vent
3. Outdated, dark bathroom
4. Awkward bathroom door that opens to the inside and makes the space seem even smaller.
5. Laundry room is not on the same floor as the bedrooms
6. Unused space in the wall to the right of the linen closet. (empty drywall currently)
Here are things that we would like to achieve with this project:
1. Maximize the closet space.
2. Remove the vanity area.
3. Update the bathroom by replacing the tub with a walk-in shower and new tile all around.
4. Include heated floors and heated towel rack.
5. Replace swing out doors with sliding doors.
6. Add a more natural light by adding a solar tube (we have a scheduled roof replacement already)
7. Add a bathroom exhaust vent for proper ventilation.
8. Relocate the laundry area to the 3rd floor if possible.
9. Relocate the entry to the attic to the hall and add a drop down staircase.
We are a young family with a 1 year old baby. We prefer modern, clean European style. We have just acquired the property and would like to reconfigure it to our liking in the next 2 months. We want to execute the project quickly and would like to work with the winning designer after the competition if possible.
1.We have already scheduled a roof replacement and will need to determine where to put exhaust vents and solar tube openings.
2. There are air conditioning vents in the lower wall at the right of the closet entrance and left wall at the bathroom entrance.
3. We do not like carpets and will be replacing carpet in the bedroom and future closet with hardwood floors.
4. The water lines for the bath are running through the inside wall of the closet.
5. We would like to avoid rerouting the plumbing if possible.
1. Elegance of the design
3. Use of space are important.
We expect the following deliverables:
2. Plan view.
3. Visualization of the finished project.
4. Suggestions for tile, shower, closet configuration etc.
5. Locations of the solar tube and exhaust vent on the roof.
6. Location of the drop down attic staircase.
7. Description of work required along with estimation of costs.
All plans and photos are in the attached pdf file. Some of the ideas we've already been considering is to reorient the bathroom and the closet and adding separate entrances. If we move the laundry room to the linen closet we will need to figure out what to do with the dryer exhaust. We are not sure what the downside of having a washer/dryer in the closet area.