I am a software developer who works primarily from a home office. We moved to a relatively new house last year and unfortunately my office space shrank a bit. I'm using the furniture from our old place, and it just feels too much like an office cubicle. I spend most of days in this room and I'm in need of a fresh new design, more storage, and an area to relax. In short, I'm looking for the ultimate home office!
The room is approximately 11'10"x10'8". Please see the attached floorplan and photos for details. It was painted with Sherwin Williams SW-7017 Dorian Gray, which I am open to changing if necessary.
My goals are:
1) Have more storage than I currently have, since this room has no closet. I prefer closed storage and don't have any particular items to display. I don't want to see any clutter, papers, cables, etc.
2) Have a place where I can sit back during a conference call (lounge chair, chaise, ottoman, recliner, etc). Need it for at least one person, 2+ would be a bonus
3) Put a 36"-40" tv somewhere so I can watch the news or sports
4) I need space for the 3 monitors (27" iMac and two 24" on the sides). I also often need to use an extra client laptop+monitor which you can see to the left -- so plenty of desk space is important (I don't need the extra desk you see on the right in the photos).
5) Adjustable keyboard tray and chair are a must
6) I'd like to hide the large printer, if possible (but not required). The printer is a Brother MFC-9970CDW, 19.3"w x 20.7"d x 20.9"h
7) Cable management would be great
8) Any other fun/interesting ideas are welcome
My style is contemporary with some mid-century modern. We shop at Room & Board, Design Within Reach, Crate & Barrel, etc. I like a clean look with solids or very subtle patterns, and I prefer grays, neutrals, etc. I want a room that is contemporary but timeless, a place for me to get work done, but also relax occasionally.
I would like specific suggestions for furniture, décor, art, etc from retailers. I am open to designs with custom built-ins (using my service providers or yours). Budget is $5k-$10k. I am looking to execute this project soon and open to continue working with the winning designer.
On the left wall, there are some vents for the laundry room next door that can't be covered. There are four recessed lights I just installed and I'd like to keep the ceiling fan. There is a floor vent under the left window that shouldn't be covered by a built-in.
The floors are Bruce CM3733 Kennedale Prestige Maple Cinnamon 3 1/4" (http://www.bruce.com/hardwood/CM3733.asp) and I'd like to keep them. Besides that, everything else can be replaced. Please avoid leather and shag area rugs (or rugs that may shed a lot). Also avoid glass on as the desk top.
Keep in mind the windows cause a glare on the monitors if I put them on the wall opposite to where they are now. I suppose I could find an anti-glare film if necessary. I like to sit facing a corner since I'm 6'1" -- need the leg room.
Just looking for a good design that utilizes the small space well and achieves my goals. Ergonomics is important, as is accommodating my equipment.
I'd like a plan view and 3D rendering(s) of the space. Please include specific products from retailers when possible. For custom work, I'd like something I can take to a contractor. Suggestions for art, décor, fabrics, color, etc would be great.