We are buying an old (60 years) house and are planning on combining the family room (labeled 'recreation room' on the plans, and the kitchen. The laundry room will be moved upstairs and should become part of the combined space. We plan to spend most of the time in the kitchen/family room area, so we want a very open concept so that you can cook and have rest of family in the same space.
For the kitchen, we would like a lot of counterspace/cabinets and an eat-on center island. We would also like to have a bigger opening to the dining room. Note that there are three columns, 1 in the laundry/recreation room wall and 2 in the laundry/kitchen wall, that cannot be moved (circled in yellow). They should somehow be integrated or hidden in the space.
If necessary, we are considering moving the back wall of the kitchen (the rounded wall with the windows) and laundry room, further out so that it is in-line with the back wall of the recreation room. The back wall if moved, should still have a lot of windows. Area shown with blue lines.
1. fireplace stays but can be refinished
2. would like double size fridge/freezer
3. ceiling is 8 foot
4. see all dimensions on the plans
5. need to keep sliding doors to outside in the recreation room and a regular door to the outside from the new kitchen
6. make as open as possible
7. we prefer contemporary/modern style, natural stone counters
8. would like to have a food pantry somewhere in the space
Please see all the pictures attached.