We are looking to add an open entry porch on the front of the house to create dimension, style, drama. House is a 1965 small colonial with a flat front. There is no shelter. When it is raining or snowing, visitors at the door get wet. Also the square footage of the porch landing is lacking. More than one person on the landing can be dangerous, particularly when trying to open the storm door, which swings outward.
We want a front porch area that is proportional/balanced, enhances the front of the home, welcomes visitors and has a strong sense of style. I have attached photos of the front of the house as well as photos of the porch and deck located at the back of the house.
1. The house is colonial in style but we gravitate to the Arts & Crafts/Craftsman style.
2. We are prepared to replace shutters, lighting fixtures and whatever else is needed in order to support the style of the new porch.
3. Worth noting is the bay window with a copper roof and the walkway which also has reddish brown overtones.
4. We would be agreeable to removing shutters on the double window to right of porch (facing house), if recommended as part of the design.
5. Multiple kinds of materials are encouraged (stone, wood).
6. Type of door style and material should be considered.
1. We are open to quirky, unique or innovative takes on our thoughts.
2. The design concept must be detailed as we are planning to execute based on the winning submission.
3. We would like the opportunity for continued contact with the winner after the project is awarded.