We have recently bought a 1200 metre squared plot in a gated security estate.
The land is empty, but is sloped, which will require some earthworks
The overall budget for the actual build is approximately ZAR 5 million, which is currently circa USD 380 000.
We would like to get an architectural design for a home which already has a conceptual floor plan
The challenges are achieving the design excellence we want within the confines of the estate's broader design guidelines
SILLERY HOUSE BRIEF
1. We are looking to build a family home in accordance with the guidelines in the Sillery Estate guideline book. The major guideline is to design the home in the Cape Vernacular style.
2. We have a conceptual floor plan that is attached, but what we are looking for is beautiful design based on the concept. We are looking for an angular home, with great architectural features
3. We are young family, which is looking for a north facing home to take advantage of South Africa’s abundant sunlight. We would like to be able to see the outside from inside, as the children play in the garden
4. We would like lots glass and fluidity between the inside and the outside. The pool would best be served by decking to connect it to the home.
5. We would like to have a home that is environmentally friendly and uses very little energy to cool and heat
1. We would like a large dressing room adjoining the main bedroom, with sufficient space for two adults with a large amount of clothing. We don’t mind taking space from the bedroom and the study. The intention is to triple the BIC space
2. We prefer not to have the first floor WC next to the dining area. We would prefer it closer to the entrance hall – but have not found an ideal place to put it. We don’t mind if there is only an outside entrance to the guest suite. The bathroom should not open up to a living area.
3. We would like to get an additional en suite bedroom at the basement level, behind the car garages. The entrance would obviously require some trenching near the wall, but this should have minimal impact on overall landscaping
4. Through your design skills, can you try create some double volume spaces for the first floor lounge and dining rooms, without impinging too much on the bedroom space upstairs
5. We will also need a fireplace in the informal family room area
6. The barbeque / braai area on the patio must incorporate a built-in bar area for entertainment
7. We would also like a fireplace in our bedroom. Is there a way to share chimneys with the fireplace downstairs? The plan is for them to be wood-burning stoves.
8. An infinity pool option, shaped around the house would be welcome
9. We would like to have exposed roof beams on the second floor rooms
10. We would like more / wider windows in the kitchen looking out into the side garden